Thursday, July 31, 2014

Laundry Detergent

Pure Laundry Soap



       After we had our daughter, we learned all about eczema.  Not only did we learn all about it, but we lived it. After pinpointing her outbreaks to the laundry detergent, we tried EVERY type out there.  The super expensive to the super cheap.  Every free and clear and unfragranced, itchy type we could find.  We wouldn't stop until we found something that would work for us and keep my baby from breaking out.  (Oh, I don't miss those days of breakouts!)  So until recently, we used a "Free and clear" brand that kept her from breaking out.  It was bearable but still not quite what we needed.  Then I had a revelation... I'd make our own. 
BONUS:  It's super clean, green, and CHEAP!!!!!!

Ingredients-
Tap water
Dove Sensitive Soap
FelsNaptha Soap
Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (at local stores in cleaning/laundry section)
Borax
Essential Oils 

Here's how I do it:
1. Add 4 cups water to a large pot. 
2. While the water is boiling, grate both bars of soap. 
3. Add the soap and boil on medium heat until the soap is dissolved.
4. Once the soap has dissolved, add 8 Cups water.
5. Return to a light boil then add 1/2 Cup Borax.
6. Stir until dissolved.
7. Add 2 Cups Washing Soda.
8. Continue to boil and stir until dissolved.

9. If desired, add Essential Oil.  I use Lavender.  20-ish drops. 
10.  Stir for a few more seconds then pour into containers.  I use old water jugs and vinegar jugs. 
11. Pour into container until it is half full (Not half empty :-))
12. Fill the rest of the jug with water. 
13. Last but not least is my favorite step...
Shake, shake, shake... The more you shake it, the better.  Work out those arms and get out some pent-up hostilities!

I usually spruce it up by adding some labels and tags just to make it cute.  But you don't have to. 

What's the final product?
Free and clear and perfectly lavender love!


When using it, keep in mind that this is a non-sudsing formula.  You won't get those suds you get in your store-bought laundry soap.  I don't add those chemicals. 
 I usually use a half cup and add it to my washer and let the water fill before adding the clothes. 
 I don't notice that my clothes are dingy or color-less.  I also shake it up a little bit before I add it to the wash. My husband loves the smell and I love my baby girl not breaking out in rashes.  All in all, I bought the ingredients and paid a whopping $5 and have made enough for the last 6 months and I still have some ingredients left.  Talk about cheap!
An added bonus:
My husband is a farmer and a tractor driver.  He usually gets stuff (stinky stinky stuff) on his work clothes.  I add 1 Cup white vinegar to his clothes.  I NEVER smell the gunk on his jeans.  He doesn't smell the vinegar.  It's a win-win situation. 

I hope you enjoy it!


No comments:

Post a Comment