Wednesday, July 30, 2014

How to protect your outdoor furniture


Living in beautiful south Florida, we spend an extreme amount of time outside.   Three years ago, my handyman bought me a glider for our anniversary for on the back porch.  It was perfect.  I love anything made of natural materials (it’s a problem, really).  So I decided to let it “age” a little on the deck.  Well, of course life happened, lil’ cowboy was born, and it aged more than I had anticipated.  Living in this amazing climate, we get tons of sunshine, tons of rain, and our humidity is off the charts. With that comes mold, mildew, and rotting wood.  NOT GOOD for an anniversary gift. 

Given I only have a week left before I must pull myself back return to work, I decided to do what I had intended to do years ago- I was going to “water seal” it. 

What is this “water seal” nonsense and why should you care?
            First let me say that I am in no way affiliated with any of the brands or products I am using here.  (I am just a lowly, happy consumer.)  This is water sealer and it is Ahh-Mazing because it keeps mildew, mold, water, and elements off your furniture.  It makes the furniture last way longer than it would alone.
 





Here’s what I did:
  1. I simply sanded down my bench with our sander. 
  2.  I applied the water sealer. Using gloves and an old shirt.
  3.  I admired!

That’s it.  It was super simple.  Took me a total of about 40 minutes. 

 (Including the time I had to stop and say things like, “don’t run over your sister” or “Be nice to your little brother, please.")






Here it is, the left side had not been sealed.  The right side has.


Here it is, COMPLETED!


And for those with a super keen eye, I totally sealed the railing on the porch and painted the walls.  I was on a roll, what can I say? I feel like a rock star.  Oh and if you come over, don't sit too long on the back deck, or I will "seal" you. ;-)

Now I have a happy little back porch again.  All I have to do is repaint the floor and get a cute outdoor rug. Can’t wait till my handyman and I enjoy our evening drinks talks together out there after the kids are asleep tonight! 

What do you think?  

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment